|Parent company||Daimler AG|
|Assembly||Bremen, Germany |
Mexico City, Mexico
São Paulo, Brazil
|Class||Compact luxury crossover SUV|
|Body style(s)||4-door SUV|
|Layout||Front engine, rear-wheel drive / four-wheel drive|
|Engine(s)||2.2L CDI I4 |
3.2L CDI V6
|Wheelbase||108.5 in (2756 mm)|
|Length||178.2 in (4526 mm)|
|Width||79.4 in (2017 mm)|
|Height||66.9 in (1699 mm)|
The GLK-Class was launched in 2008 and is built in Bremen (Germany), the first Mercedes SUV to be built there. Its design is heavily influenced by the C-Class.
On 12 January 2008, actress Kim Cattrall at a special unveiling ceremony at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit, confirming that her Sex and the City character (Samantha Jones) would drive the SUV in the movie version of the popular TV show.
The GLK was presented for the first time in 2008 in Detroit under the form of the Mercedes-Benz Vision GLK Freeside concept.
MBUSA partnered with four tuners to develop custom designs for the newly released GLK for the 2008 SEMA show in Las Vegas. Boulevard Customs, Brabus, RENNtech, Leegendary Motorcar Company were the four tuners that had this unique opportunity to design their vision.
The GLK-Class shares the C-Class (W204) platform, and production plans continued after the demise of the similar Smart Formore.
SafetyComprehensive restraint system for the best possible occupant protection.
In combination with the front and rear deformation zones, the high-strength passenger cell of the GLK-Class provides a highly efficient foundation for the occupant protection systems. The intricate restraint system is capable of offering the greatest possible protection potential. As many as nine airbags are fitted, which are deployed selectively depending on the type of collision and its severity to reduce the forces exerted on the occupants eMercedesBenz said - The all-encompassing approach taken to achieving a high standard of safety evinces itself particularly clearly in the Integral Safety concept, that Mercedes-Benz has once again implemented in the new GLK.
- 2.2 L diesel I4 170 PS (125 kW; 168 hp)
- 2996 cc V6 228 hp (171 kW)
- 3498 cc V6 268 hp (201 kW)
- 3.0 L diesel V6 224 PS (165 kW; 221 hp)
RangeAt launch in Germany, the car was offered in all-wheel drive only, though recently a rear-wheel drive only version debuted.
The range at launch comprised:
- GLK 220 CDI 4MATIC - 2.2-Litre-I4 - 170 PS (125 kW; 168 hp)
- GLK 280/300 (since 2009) 4MATIC - 3.0-Litre-V6 - 231 PS (170 kW; 228 hp)
- GLK 350 4MATIC - 3.5-Litre-V6 - 272 PS (200 kW; 268 hp)
- GLK 320 CDI/350 CDI (since 2009) 4MATIC - 3.0-Litre-Diesel - 224 PS (165 kW; 221 hp)
- GLK 220 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY - 2.2-Litre-I4 - 170 PS (125 kW; 168 hp) (rear-wheel drive)
- GLK 250 CDI 4MATIC BlueEFFICIENCY - 2.2-Litre-I4 - 204 PS (150 kW; 201 hp)
GLK 350 4MATIC Front
GLK 350 4MATIC Rear